Friday, December 8, 2006

The Rise and Fall of Technology

By Chad Stroh

Being born at the beginning of the information age I've seen many things come and go. I've seen the cassette tape fade away along with VHS. I have seen the short life of the CD, which is being lost in a world of MP3. I have seen video stores completely change their whole invetory to DVD. Technology and information are allowing new mediums of information. A song was played on a cassette and now it is played on an Ipod. It is important to remember that nothing can ever replace a live performance. There is something appealing about witnessing live emotion. The question I wonder is if technology causes us to lose true emotion. I have always liked writing letters and postcards to people. Something about writing allows you to express your thoughts and emotions in an organized way. A call on the phone has those time where both people are not talking about anything. As technology improves, are we really improving as human beings? Well that depends on how you view life. Many people think that everything should be quick and easy. Shoot and fire. If you are like this, than you probably find technology appealing. I am not one of these people. I love listening to the radio and not knowing what the next song is. I think that there is a fascination with technology and so called "progression", but I feel in the next two hundred years we might see a sort of "resurrection" of human emotion. Robots are already taking over millions of workers jobs. I will leave my argument with this point. I read an article about how computers can play a perfect game of chess. How do you define a perfect game of chess though? I think it is one where both opponents are equal, not when one side has all the right moves. Sometime we have to redefine perfection. That same article said a computer cannot walk across a room full people because it can predict random human movement. A three year old girl can walk across a room.

No comments: